Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Why I joined the Sea Shepherd Onshore Crew

There wasn't one moment that lead me to this decision, there were many moments.

I first saw the show Whale Wars on the animal plant a few years ago. I only saw two episodes though. There were two thing that suck in my mind. One was the images of a whale being dragged up the ramp of the Japanese factory ship. The other was of this guy Peter Hammarstedt he put his ship I between the two Japanese ships. And the two Japanese ships squeezing this young captain ship. How many of us stand up for anything willing to die for it?

My family and I went to the zoo this summer. I love the zoo, it lets people see anamials to see these great animals that they would never see. We went in to see the dolphin show. We sat there and watched the show. There came a time when one of the dolphins glideded by and our eyes met. And this feeling just hit me and my heart sank. I immediately left the show.

My son Caleb has autism. We went to doctors, fought with school. Went to one doctor after the next. They either couldn't help, or after a year of seeing them they tell us that we should see someone that specializes in autism (Like why did they think we we're here). So we finally found this doctor this summer who is a biomedical doctor. He is also a D.O and has a son with sever autism then my son. So we went to his seminar. And it was great, and like "duh". We're feeding are children toxins and poisons. There poor little bodies are fighting all these toxins and dealing with sensory issues. Then you want them to sit in a class room for 6 hours. How do you fell going to work for 6+ hours at work with a cold or flu?

So we started cleaning out our food, cookware, cleaning products. I'm going to start working on cloths. I started, and im still reading, more books about environmental impacts on our food and well everything. One was Captain Paul Watson: An interview with a pirate. Awesome book. Captain Paul Watson (founder of Sea Shepard) touched on a lot of issues in the book.

I've always been reading and watching documentaries about all environmental issues before I had a reason standing in front of me. I've always wanted to do something to help, but felt there really wasn't anything I could do. So I went on to there web site Seashepard.org and read all there stuff. Found out I didn't have to go to sea to be a volunteer. Which was a good thing since I have Meniere's Disease. And that I could do more then just send them money every month. I finally felt like I can do something now (Other then hide in my home). My kids can even help out on some of the volunteering stuff.

One of the things im trying to work on is I always say "it's not my flat your uneducated on (whatever issue)". But now that saying is bugging me. So much that it plays over and over in my head. Maybe it is my flat. I've been learning about all these issues about our Environment and I never shared what I learned.

I accepted what they told us. "We can't do anything about", "your not an expert", "your just one person you cant change anything". I have looked at other organizations, but there all the same, "become a member for this $10 a month." They make you fell like your small. Have you ever pinned your house on google map, then zoomed out to you can see the earth. You are small. But we (I) have to start doing things and talking about these issues.

So I have joined Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. In there direct action approach, to help people understand the issues of the ocean. And participating in solutions that really make a difference. If you would like more info about the Sea Shepherd, would like to volunteer or would like to make a donation please vist there site at seashepherd.org

No comments:

Post a Comment