Thursday, February 12, 2015

Leaving it all for Jesus?

At church last Sunday, a scripture was read during Sunday school. It was Luke 14:33 "..whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." After reading that I was stuck, does Jesus really mean for us to leave everything?

I couldn't shake it and still can't. I drove home on auto-pilot that day playing that question over and over in my head. So I looked it up on the internet and see what others said about. Letts just say not very helpful. All everyone was saying is that we must "leave the past in the past". That we only had to give up the bad stuff and..... lets just say I did not find my answer.

When I think of people that gave everything to follow him I think of Nuns, Priests, and Moncks.
 Then there is an occasional stories of missionaries that just sell everything and go to another country to teach about Jesus.

Weird as it might seem I have been reading books about India. And a thought crossed my mind, would America look and be in the same state as India is with we had the same priorities as they do? I mean come on, they have 4 and more festivals a month in Hinduism. The only religious holiday we have is Easter and Christmas (if you still call it a religious holiday anymore).

I thought about our "American dream", a good job, a house with a mortgage, our 2.5 kids and a dog. Is our "American dream" our excuse for having things? Is it feeding our selfness? We were ounce a Christian nation. I don't know if you watch or listen to the news but we are thronging our Christianity out the door so we don't offend anyone. Think of all the wars we had to protect our Religion, community, and family.

So, I say "YES" give it up. All the extra's, all the nick knacks that you have to dust every week or day and I know you do this...you ask your self "why do I have this stuff?"  If you sold or donated everything thing you DO NOT NEED, how much time would you have on your hands to do something for your neighbor? If you tell ourselves we are to busy to pray or read or scripture's, we are to busy, and doing more then God intended for us (I think I saw that on Facebook ounce).

We as Christians or suppose to be sympathetic to other people and there religion's. But we are not suppose to hide our beliefs just because they might offend someone. I listened to a talk were it was said, the more people that hate you is how you know you are doing it right. Think about we didn't get to this point by being quiet and doing what were told.

Mark 8:34-35 "..Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's the same shall save it."

We can't live in our little protective bubble anymore. Just because you don't see people dying because of there faith does not mean it's not happening. People are dying for what we are taking for granted everyday. Go to you tube and enter Christian Persecution.

Here are some great videos to check out now-

Risking it all and following Jesus - David Platt

The Insanity of Obedience by Nik Ripken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-k7CvBT6Y

True story- RISKING HIS LIFE FOR A BIBLE!  

CBN News - Christian persecution

Also check out this site. You can also write letters to those that are being persecuted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment